Why Choose Fertility Awareness?
- Want to learn a natural and effective method of birth control? The symptothermal Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) is up to 99.4% effective at preventing pregnancy!
- Trying to conceive? FAM can help you easily identify that you have healthy cycles, are ovulating and when you’re fertile for optimal timing of baby-making sex or insemination.
- Concerned about the short- and long-term side effects of hormonal birth control (like the Pill, Patch, etc)? With no side-effects, FAM uses your body’s natural fertility signals so you don’t have to alter your physiology.
- Going green? FAM is an eco-friendly birth control option – no more polluting your body and the environment with chemicals and artificial hormones.
- Craving more body literacy and partnership intimacy? Get curious! Correlate moods, cravings, sensations, libido, and energy with your hormonal cycle.
- Feeling imbalanced? Learn tips to holistically support your hormones for a healthier cycle.
This is must have information for all women!
What is FAM?
The symptothermal Fertility Awareness Method (FAM) is a way of accurately assessing your fertility – potential to get pregnant – each day of your cycle. Science has proven that the hormones of the menstrual cycle affect the type of fluid produced by a woman’s cervix, her cervical position and texture (sympto-), and her basal body temperature (-thermal). FAM uses these indicators to know how close she is to ovulation, the time in her cycle when she could get pregnant.
Once you’ve invested a few hours to learn the method, and spent a few cycles learning to recognize and interpret your own fertility symptoms, FAM takes about 2 minutes a day to practice. You’ll take your temperature upon waking each morning, check for cervical fluid a few times throughout the day when you go to the bathroom, and record this information on a chart.
If you’re using the method as birth control, you’ll use certain rules to determine when its safe to have unprotected sex based on your fertility signals. You can choose to abstain from sex when you are fertile for maximum effectiveness or to use a barrier method, like a condom, or diaphragm on fertile days.
If you’re trying to get pregnant, you’ll use your fertility signals to help identify the best days to have sex or inseminate to maximize your chances of conception.
FAM can be used by women who have regular cycles, irregular cycles, who are breastfeeding, or perimenopausal. FAM is not the ineffective rhythm method which is based on data from past cycles to predict what will happen during this cycle. FAM uses scientifically-proven fertility signals gathered in real time.
Secular Inclusive Feminist Fertility Awareness
All classes are secular. I respect the many reasons that a woman might choose to learn fertility awareness. Classes are inclusive of alternative family structures and all types of sexual relationships (though using the method as birth control does not protect against STIs). I trust that each woman will choose how to apply this information in a way that best suits her.